On the 25th of November – 06.00 pm, at the Baltazar Dias Municipal Theatre in Funchal, the Madeira Classical Orchestra conducted by Pedro Neves will present a “portrait concert” devoted to the music of Luís Tinoco. The concert program will feature Filipe Quaresma performing “Cello Concerto” (2017) and the actor Élvio Camacho who will read Terry Jones’ stories in “Fantastic Tales” (2007).
On the 10th of November, the Northwestern University Percussion Ensemble - directed by She-e Wu, performed Short Cuts (f) for two vibraphones and two marimbas, at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC 17) that took place in Indianapolis, US. On its 42nd edition, this convention continues to deliver amazing performances of new repertoire and clinics from musicians all over the world, all while showcasing the latest from the percussion industry.
The Percussion Ensemble is an integral part of the curriculum at Northwestern University. The Ensemble has won the PASIC International Percussion Ensemble Competition four times.
Click here to know more.
On Friday, 22nd September, 7.30 p.m., at the Regent Hall / Salvation Army – 20th edition of the London Wind Festival – the wind quintet “Autumn Wind” will be performed by Simon Desorgher (Flute), Catherine Pluygers (Oboe), Phil Edwards (Clarinet), Henryk Sienkiewicz (Horn), and Glyn Williams (Bassoon). Click here to know more details.
Tinoco wrote Autumn Wind in 1998 following a commission by the Junior Academy of the Royal Academy of Music, in London. The work was inspired by the poems of Philip Larkin and had its first performance by the Junior Academy students.
On the 6th of August, 3 p.m., at the Stiftung Mozarteum, Großer Saal, Salzburg, the Camerata Salzburg conducted by Nuno Coelho da Silva will give the Austrian première of Chant for East Timor – a piece for string orchestra, composed by Luís Tinoco in 1998 as a tribute to those who were fighting to free East Timor from the Indonesian occupation.
Chant was then premièred by the Academy Soloists, lead by Clio Gould, at the Royal Academy of Music’s festival Dreams and Reflections, on the 29th January 1999.
The forthcoming performance in Salzburg is featured as part of Nuno Coelho’s recital as Finalist of the Nestlé and Salzburg Festival Conductors Award.
Click on the following links to watch and hear some fragments of chamber, stage and orchestral music:
- Search Songs (mov.3) – orchestral songs
- Search Songs (mov.5) – orchestral songs
- Songs From The Solitary Dreamer (4th mov.) – orchestral songs
- From the Depth of Distance – soprano and orchestra
- The Blue Voice of the Water (fragment 1) – symphony orchestra
- The Blue Voice of the Water (fragment 2) – symphony orchestra
- Round Time (fragment 1) – symphony orchestra
- Round Time (fragment 2) – symphony orchestra
- FrisLand (fragment) – symphonhy orchestra
- Cello Concerto (excerpts) – cello and orchestra
- Diptych (fragment) – for piano and orchestra
- The Fast Road - speaker and orchestra
- Three Raindrops - speaker and orchestra
- Antípoda - chamber orchestra
- Invention on Landscape - chamber orchestra
- Before Spring - chamber orchestra
- Costa Muda – jazz orchestra
- Wanderings of the Solitary Dreamer - cantata
- Paint Me (1) – opera
- Paint Me (2) – opera
- Evil Machines - music theatre
- Dr. MaxMan (5th mov. from “Spam!”) – voice & ensemble
- Trois Poèmes de L’Orient - soprano & chamber ensemble
- O Curso das Águas - chamber
- Ends Meet - chamber
- Lugares Esquecidos - chamber
- Short Cuts - chamber
- O Silêncio e as Pedras – chamber
- Mind the Gap - marimba solo